Edmonton's Top Emergency Tow Truck and Roadside Assistance Service
When your car breaks down, it can be a stressful incident. In such times, what is important is getting it safely to a trusted garage. This requires a reliable towing method. Towing is a mechanism that couples two or more objects together so that they may be pulled by a designated source of power. A tow vehicle is a special kind of vehicle that has a mechanical apparatus to hoist or pull either wrecked, disabled or stalled vehicles.
Wheel-lift towing is a wheel lift mechanism for towing a vehicle by lifting it by its wheels so that any contact with the bumper, undercarriage or axle is duly avoided making the vehicle rides on its own suspension system. The front or back wheels of a vehicle are raised while two contact wheels remain on the ground.
Hook and chain towing on the other hand is pulling a vehicle via a chain while its wheel is in direct contact with the ground. The hook is a means of attachment to the towing vehicle that drags it behind.
Advantages of wheel-lift towing
• Because the load is positioned further back, it helps eliminate damage to modern vehicles that use plastics, air foils and other aerodynamics styling features.
• It reduces damage to the vehicle body while towing and to add on that, it also reduces any potential damage to the axle.
• It reduces damage to the vehicle’s suspension system during towing.
• It has a device which has the ability to cradle the vehicle's tires while it is being towed. This effectively minimizes the chances of damage to the vehicle being towed because it uses the tires as the major contact point.
• Hydraulics that lifts the wheels off the ground stabilizes the towed vehicle much more compared to hook and chain design and there is no big metal hook to damage the vehicle’s body.
• The metal frame inserted beneath the body of the vehicle locks it into place and prevents the vehicle from breaking free and being damaged during towing.
Disadvantages of hook and chain towing
• It causes scratches to the vehicle’s bumper during towing.
• It can cause damage to the vehicle’s frame during towing.
• In the event that the hook is not securely attached to the chain, the vehicle may detach and get damaged during the tow.
Wheel-lift towing was invented because of the shortcomings of hook and chain method that causes substantial damage to vehicles being towed. Hook and chain has since been reserved for towing junk trucks that are used as scrap metal.
In summary, for safer towing that will protect your vehicle from avoidable damage, use wheel-lift towing. Its other advantages include the following:
• It is great for winching.
• The vehicle does not have to be put in neutral gear for towing.
• It is has the ability to get in and out of tight spaces.
• It is used when quick towing services are required e.g. repossession.
• Research has also shown it saves money on total mileage covered.
Next time your vehicle breaks down, call the nearest wheel-lift towing service. it is the best way to ensure that your vehicle is towed to the right destination with all the safety standards observed.
Call Us Today! 587-600-2353